This guide has been written by bike expert Alex Bristol
Last Updated on
Last Updated on
See full list of products
Road cycling is among the most enjoyable activities you can do during your free time. If you have been struggling to lose weight, cycling is one of the most effective ways you can use to control your weight which means that it is a healthy activity. However, if you want to get the best experience, you need to have the best cycling gears. The first thing you will need to buy is high-quality cycling shoes. These shoes are made to provide comfort when cycling. They are also safe since they have features that ensure that you are well protected when using them. For example, they have stiff and sturdy soles that provide maximum stability.
You will find that these shoes come with different styles, features and price. This means that searching for the best is not an easy task. However, our aim is to help you identify the best products that will give you the best value for your money. As a result, we have done the research for you to come up with a list of the top 10 cycling shoes that will give you the best performance.
Check out the results fast - here are our review winners
We've spent the time so you don't have to:
hours spent finding
Top 10 bikes shoes for road cycling
Triseven Premium Nylon Triathlon Cycling Shoes
Triseven Premium Nylon Shoes comes first in our list as the most reliable cycling shoes you can find today. To start with, they are very lightweight and are purely designed to provide comfort and to enhance your performance. Apart from that, they are made of a synthetic and microfiber nylon material. Their sole is made of carbon to boost stability. A breathable mesh is also included as part of their design. These shoes feature one tall heel loop which allows you to transition easily. They also feature reflective elements to enhance safety. The long strap allows you to pull the shoes for an efficient transition. The sturdy nylon outsole provides excellent stability. Also note that the insole is well ventilated to keep your feet cool.
Money back guarantee
A wide strap for easy transition
Fizik RI UOMO BOA Road Cycling Shoes
Fizik RI UOMO BOA are made of polyester, nylon and PU material. They are manufactured in Italy and even from their look, you can easily tell that they are designed to provide the best performance. The outsole is made of 100% woven carbon fiber to provide a sturdy platform. They also feature 100% Kangaroo leather which is soft and lightweight. This means that apart from their excellent performance, they are also durable. They might not be the best for those who are searching for affordable options due to their high price tag but they are worth every penny.
Made of world’s finest leather
Carbon fiber outsole
They are a bit hard
Louis Garneau Men's Carbon LS-100 3 Bike Shoes
Whether you are a beginner or an experienced cyclist, these shoes have everything you would expect from high quality cycling shoes. Their major selling point is the X-comfort zone technology which allows you to ride comfortably. Unlike others, they allow your feet to swell up to 5 mm which is a great feature especially during the hot season. The outsole features a patented carbon composite for maximum power transfer. Apart from that, they also have a patented CoolMax insole which allows your feet to cool down during hot days. Another awesome thing is that they use BOA closure system which is easy to adjust.
BOA closure system
Suitable for beginners
Very comfortable during hot days
X comfort zone technology
Tiebao Road Cycling Shoes Lock Pedal Bike Shoes
These ones are among the most stylish cycling shoes you will ever find. Apart from their beautiful appearance, they also feature an anti-slip lining which prevents your foot from lifting when pedaling. A quick closure, classic triple hook straps are also added for comfort. In addition, they come with a removable sockliner and a flexible forefoot. Don’t forget that they also have a breathable mesh which prevents your feet from sweating. In terms of compatibility, you should note that they are compatible with SPD SL, SPD and KEO pedal systems.
A bit snug
Smartdoors Men’s Mountain Bike Road Cycling Shoes
Smartdoors Men’s Mountain Bike Road Cycling Shoes are specially for professional road cycling. They upper side is made of a high density PU and a breathable mesh. In addition, they have Nylon TPU soles. These materials are able to reduce the feet weight and the good thing is that they are also resistant to wind for maximum comfort when riding. Again, the insole is made of a breathable material which also features antimicrobial properties. A feet heel’s liner is also added to boost stability.
Made of quality materials
Insole has antimicrobial properties
The standard cleats requires an adapter
Giro Savix Cycling Shoe - Men's
These ones are specially made to provide maximum comfort to the user. They are made using the BOA dial to give you an effective closure. Again, they have a set and forget strap which makes them easy to wear and remove. The dial features macro-release that allows you to remove it easily. The insole is made of an injected nylon. Additionally, they have a universal cleat that supports 2-3 holes. This means that you can easily change the cleats anytime you want to do so. In addition, they are lightweight and very comfortable which makes them an excellent choice for beginners. Lastly, they also have a mesh to enhance breathability.
They use BOA dial
Universal cleat system
They are a bit snug
Mavic Cosmic Elite Cycling Shoes
One of the most outstanding things about these shoes is that they hug your foot closely in specific places to provide maximum comfort. The micro adjustments also provide a strong grip. These shoes also feature two Ergo Straps which provides easy and precise adjustments. Another thing is that they come with a top-notch insole which is very comfortable. As a result, you can wear the ride or use the shoes for many hours without any discomfort. The 3D inner part is made using Ortholite foam and arch support for maximum stability.
High quality insole
Quality design for stability
A bit small
Gavin Mountain MTB Sneaker Style Cycling Shoe
If you are searching for a good cycling shoes you can use for mountain bike train intense indoor cycling or road cycling as you go to work, Gavin Mountain MTB is an excellent choice. What you will love about it is that the soles are very safe and stiff which means that you will be very safe any time you are using these shoes. Apart from safety, they are also lightweight and sturdy. Another thing is that they have a stylish and effective lace up closure system which allows you to customize it as per your required level of comfort. Lastly, they are durable and compatible with SPD-R and SPD cleats.
Sturdy and comfortable
They are a bit narrow
Venzo Mountain Men’s Bike Cycling Shoes
Venzo Mountain Men’s Bike Cycling Shoes are made using an advanced technology of hot seal straps which are more attractive as compared to the normal sewing. The materials used are raw and new to prevent bad odor. In addition, the soles are very stiff to prevent loss of energy when riding. Note that the soles are heat insulated. Whether you are searching for quality shoes you can use for touring, MTB off road riding, spin class and commuting, these are the most versatile shoes that are suitable for all cycling activities.
The Elegant Home Fashion Floor Cabinet is made from a sturdy MDF and metal frame that gives it a stable build. It is elevated on four bottom feet that hold it up and prevent it from wobbling. This cabinet has a classic design, with a crown moulding top and engraved door panels.
Made of raw and new materials
Stiff and sturdy sole
Tommaso Strada 100 Road Touring Cycling Spinning Shoes
These ones are made of long lasting synthetic leather which hugs your foot perfectly to provide all day comfort. They also feature ventilated parts which keeps your feet cool when cycling. With these shoes, you are able to exercise your muscles fully with each push and pull. The sols are reinforced with fiberglass to provide maximum stiffness and power transfer. In addition, they come with Look Delta Cleats which are compatible with all types of cleats. As a proof of quality, these shoes come with a 2 years warranty. If you are a spin rider, these will be the most suitable cycling shoes you should consider.
Made of long lasting synthetic leather
Allows you to exercise fully
2 years warranty
A bit wide
Key things to Consider When Buying Road Cycling Shoes
- Sole materials – If you are searching for quality-cycling shoes that will give you the best performance, you need to look for those that have a carbon sole. This one is very stiff and lightweight.
- Size- Make sure that you have picked the correct size. The shoes should not be too big or too small.
- Ventilation – The best cycling shoes should have a mesh to allow airflow. This will also prevent your feet from sweating even if you are cycling for long hours.
- Closure system – The closure system will determine how easily it is to tighten or loosen the shoe but it will depend on various cycling conditions. For example, when cycling in triathlons, you will require an easy to adjust closure system. Below are the common types of closure systems.
- BOA Dials – These ones are designed to give you a precise fit. Every time you turn the dial, the wires are loosed or tightened by 1 mm. The most expensive and modern cycling shoes usually use this system. The most incredible thing about it is that apart from being the most effective, you can easily replace the BOA dial system.
- Ratchet buckles– As compared to the BOA system, ratchet systems are more sturdy and very reliable. However, they are not very precise as compared to the BOA dials. The only disadvantage is that they are not easy to replace. You might be forced to buy a new pair of shoe in case it breaks.
- Velcro straps – These systems have been in use for quite some time. The good thing about them is that they are durable and lightweight. However, they do not provide the best precision as compared to the ratchet system and the BOA dials.
- Laces –Laces are a bit outdated but they are the easiest and lightest to replace. However, they are hard to adjust. If you are involved in recreational cycling, this system might be a good choice.
- Cleat system and the pedal – Your shoes should match with the style of your pedals. Below are the most common types of cleat systems.
- SPD- 2 holes – If you frequently participate in bike tour or use the bike for commuting, this is the best cleat system. It is also suitable for mountain bikers because the cleat system allows you to walk easily.
- SPD-SL – This one has 3 holes. It is the most common type because it is more efficient and stable than the SPD. It also has a wider design as compared to the SPD.
- Speedplay- 4 holes – This system has 4 holes and requires you to use a base plate so that you can easily convert it to a 3 or 4 hole system.
If you have been searching for the perfect shoes for cycling, those are the best shoes you should consider. You will find that they are very lightweight, durable, comfortable and easy to use. They also come with different features and prices to suit your requirements. Again, they all have attractive designs since they come with different colors. Any of them will give you the best value for your money.
Home Design Expert
Imogen is LHD’s Head of Content and specialises in home decor and room design. Imogen scours the internet finding the latest product that matches all styles of homes. From seasonal set-ups to color matching rooms, Imogen sources the most modern and up-to-date home decor to make your home stand out with her in-depth buyer guides, product reviews and home styling blog posts.
Subscribe to stay in the loop
Get the latest news and updates from our blog