10 Best Road Bike Handlebars [Review] in 2020
Last Updated on
This guide has been written by Cycle expert Alex Bristol
See full list of products
Check out the results fast - here are our review winners
When upgrading your bike, you need to ensure that all the parts are functional. One of the most important parts you should never overlook is the handlebar. Apart from steering the bike, this part also allows you to balance your weight when cycling. This means that they choosing the wrong handlebar may also affect the overall performance since you will not be able to control your bike effectively.
However, searching for the best road bike handlebar can be a time consuming especially if you do not know exactly the best road bike handlebar. To make your work easier, we have reviewed the best toad bike handlebars that are worth your money.
We've spent the time so you don't have to:
Best Road Bike Handlebars
EC90 Integrated Carbon Road Bike Handlebars Bent Bar Carbon
Top Choice Item
In terms of performance and design, EC90 Integrated is among the rare road bike handlebars that will give you the best value for your money. It is made of full carbon fiber which means that it is very strong and light. Additionally, it is very easy to assemble since it has a unibody design. Again, it is very comfortable on your hands and allows you to reach the shifters more conveniently.
Very strong and durable
A bit expensive
Latest deal: EC90 Integrated Carbon
Iron JIA’s Bicycle Handlebar Carbon Fiber
Prime Picked Item
One of the things that enable this handlebar to stand out from the rest is its attractive and sturdy design. Since it is made of carbon fiber material, it is very strong, durable and lightweight. Again, it has a unibody design for easier assembly. You will also find that it has a unique shape which provides optimum positioning irrespective of your riding style. If you are searching for a suitable handlebar for cycling trips, you can never go wrong with this one because it is very comfortable on your hands.
Shipping may take long
Latest deal: Iron JIA’s Bicycle Handlebar Carbon Fiber
FSA Adventure Compact Alloy Handlebar
Best Value Item
FSA Adventure Compact Alloy Handlebar is among the toughest handlebars you can find today. It has a compact drop design to boost reach and comfort. Apart from that, it is double butted and tapered to enhance its strength and stiffness. The 12-slide flare allows you to position your hands comfortably when riding. If you are searching for a quality handlebar you can use for adventure or gravel cycling, it will be an excellent choice.
Wide top bar to support your hands
Very stiff and strong
Compact drop design
Excellent choice for adventure and gravel cycling
Latest deal: FSA Adventure Compact Alloy Handlebar
EC90 Full Carbon Fiber Road Bicycle Handlebar
EC90 Full carbon fiber road bicycle handlebar is among that lightest handlebars you can find today since it weighs 300 g. Apart t from that, it has excellent workmanship which enables it to provide an impressive performance. When choosing, you need to be a bit keen to ensure that you have picked the correct size because it comes with different sizes. In terms of design, you will find that it has a beautiful and stylish design.
Available different sizes
Not very comfortable
Latest deal: EC90 Full Carbon Fiber Road Bicycle Handlebar
Easton EA30DG Ergo Handlebar
If you are searching for a top quality road bike handlebar that will be you the best performance, this one will be an excellent choice. It has an ergonomic profile and features a less bend which is radically shaped. Due to the design, you can use it comfortably when riding for long hours. It also contains an impressive 140-millimeter deep drops which allows you to place your hands on different positions especially when you are under attack.
Latest deal: Easton EA30DG Ergo Handlebar
TOSEEK Carbon Fiber Bent Bicycle Handlebars
TOSEEK Carbon Fiber Bent Bicycle Handlebar features a T800 carbon fiber construction. It is ultra light and very strong. Apart from that, it is very easy to install. Due to its unique shape, it allows you to position your hands comfortably irrespective of your riding style. If you are searching for a comfortable handlebar that you can install in your road bike, mountain bike, long-distance bike or travel bikes, this one will be a good choice.
Latest deal: TOSEEK
West Biking Ultralight Cycling Handlebar
West Biking 0.87lb Ultralight Handlebar is made of aluminum alloy. The most outstanding thing about it is that it comes with a thick sponge and has a non-slip design. It is also compatible with road bikes, mountain bikes, tricycle, track bikes among others. If you have been searching for a perfect handlebar for cross-country and uphill riding, this one is among the best. It is also perfect for trekking and touring.
Sturdy and comfortable
Not easy to install
Latest deal: West Biking Ultralight Cycling Handlebar
Alfa Pasca 31.8 Carbon Road Bike Handlebar
This one has a rare design which is commonly used in modern road racing bikes. It works perfectly with the brake system of your bike since it fits perfectly on the space provided for the brakes. In terms of design, it is very attractive and lightweight. Additionally, it has excellent shock absorption and it is resistant to pressure. Moreover, it has proper elasticity to boost the performance of your road bike.
Excellent pressure resistance
Latest deal: Alfa Pasca 31.8 Carbon Road Bike Handlebar
UPANBIKE Bike Butterfly Handlebar
Whether you are searching for a quality road or mountain bike handlebar you can use for cross-country or uphill riding, UPANBIKE Bike Butterfly will be an excellent choice since it features wide and high handles. It has a thick grip design which also makes it ideal for butterfly handlebars and special trekking bikes. The other thing you will love about it is that you can pace your hands in different positions when riding to ensure that you are comfortable.
It comes with a sponge cover
Ideal for long distance cycling
Latest deal: UPANBIKE Bike Butterfly Handlebar
Lixada Aluminum Alloy Road Bicycle Drop Handlebar
If you are searching for an affordable road bike handlebar, this one will be a great option due to its low price. Irrespective of the cheap price, it is made of strong and long lasting 6061 aluminum alloy material which means that it is highly reliable. The other impressive feature you will love about it is the anti-slip design at the center which gives you the required grip. It has a clamp diameter of 25.a mm/1 in.
Suitable for road bikes
Anti slip design
Not the best quality
Latest deal: Lixada Aluminum Alloy Road Bicycle Drop Handlebar
Factors to consider when buying road bike Handlebars
Below are some of the things you should check when buying road bike handlebars.
- Material – Most of the road bike handlebars are made of carbon or alloy. Alloy or aluminum handlebars are the most common. The good thing about this material is that it is lightweight and affordable. On the other hand, carbon handlebars are more durable and stronger as compared to the aluminum handlebars. However, they are more expensive.
- Width– Handlebars comes with different widths. Most of them range from 36cm-46 cm. When choosing, ensure they are almost the same width as your shoulders. Cruiser rides prefers wide handlebars since they are easier to control. However, you should consider your body size when determining the best width. If you have a small body, wide bars might not be the best.
- Diameter– The modern handlebars usually have a diameter of 31.8 mm but the traditional ones measures 25.4mm. When buying, you need to consider a diameter that matches with the stem. Some may not be compatible.
- Shape – The shape of the handlebar may also affect your comfort. Most of the high-end models have a molded and ergonomic shape that provides maximum comfort. This means that they allow you to place your hands in different position. When buying, ensure that the shape of the handlebar will be comfortable for you even when riding for long hours.
- Grips– Road bike handlebars do not come with grips. You will need to purchase a handlebar tape. The tape is usually made of a synthetic materials and it also contains a layer of form or cushion which helps to minimize vibrations. However, wrapping the tape can be a bit challenging but in case you are not sure how it is done, you can take the bike to a bike shop.
- Wing bars – Some handlebars contains a flat top section which provides a wide contact area. As a result, they are very comfortable since they help in reducing stress on your arms and wrists.
What type of handlebars should you buy?
Before you spend your money on any road bike handlebar, you need to think of how you will be using the bike. This is because handlebars vary in design and some are suitable for specific riders.
- Regular riders – If you ride frequently, you should consider aluminum or carbon handlebars that are lightweight. Wide handlebars may also be suitable because they provide the best control. If you will be covering long distances, carbon handlebars will be the most suitable since they are light and comfortable.
- Occasional riders – Standard allow handlebars with average drop and reach will be the best. You may also need to consider bars with a shallow drop.
- Racers– Carbon handlebars that contain a standard drop will be a great choice. Since carbon is light, a deeper drop will provide better aero position.
How to set up road bike handlebars
- Size– If you are to choose between short and long handlebars, you should consider a bar that has a long stem. These allow you to access the controls more easily when cycling. Again, they boost your posture and at the same time they allow you to reach the brake levers without straining. You should also go for a handlebar that is wider than the shoulders. As your advance your skills, you can later go for a narrow handlebar.
- Handlebar tape– Another thing you should consider is the bar tape. This one will determine how comfortable you will be when riding. Ensure that it is easy to grip and can absorb vibrations effectively. A good tape should also help in relieving pressure on your wrists. You can also consider gel insert for absorbing road vibrations.
- Height – The height of the handlebar is also important. Ensure that it is not too high or too low. In case it is too low, it might affect you speed. Again, it can lead to various problems like back pain, neck pain and also shoulder pains. You should test it first before you hit the road to confirm that it is comfortable.
The type of road bike handlebar that you pick can make a big difference on how you control the bike and how you feel when riding. Apart from that, it also affects your posture, grip and also how you place your hand. If you can find an ergonomic handlebar that allows you to place your hands in different position, it would be the best. Again, look for a lightweight handlebar and one that is made of durable and sturdy material.
The good thing is that you won’t struggle to find a quality road bike handlebar since we have provided the best products you can find today. One of the reasons why you should trust the above product is that we have spent many hours trying to compare the different models available on the market. Apart from the features, we also checked the price, customer ratings and materials used to ensure that we have picked only the best products that will give you excellent value for your money. If you are still not convinced, you can check their rating on Amazon and also the customer reviews to confirm. Pick any of them today that suit your requirements.
Alex Bristol - Cycle sport content expert
Alex is London Cycle Sports Head of Content and specialises in road bike accessories and general cycling. Alex scours the internet finding the latest product that matches the needs of cyclists across the world. Alex looks at the best bike set ups and sources the newest tech in the cycle industry. Whether its a buyer guide, product review or a general post about bikes, Alex is a trusted source for everything cycle sport.
Determining the correct size of the handlebars may not be very easy. In most cases, it depends on personal preferences and other factors like your height, type of bike, riding style,...
One of the best ways to give your road bike a new look is by changing the handlebar tape. However, this process can be a bit challenging especially if you have never done it before. To make...
Bicycles are vehicles Cyclists are protected by many laws, and other vehicle drivers have to respect them to ensure bikers' safety on the road. In the same way and for the same reason,...