10 Best Mountain Bike Wheels [Review] in 2020
Last Updated on
This guide has been written by Cycle expert Alex Bristol
See full list of products
Check out the results fast - here are our review winners
However, you need to ensure that you are replacing them with top quality wheels that are reliable, durable, functional and sturdy. We understand that choosing the best wheels is not always an easy task. In this article, we shall reveal the best mountain bike wheels you can find today.
We've spent the time so you don't have to:
Top 10 Mountain Bike Wheels
Shimamo Mavic Continental 29er Wheels
Top Choice Item
The most reliable
Allows different speeds
Quality and durable materials
Latest deal: Shimamo Mavic Continental
Superteam Carbon Fiber Road Bike Wheels
Prime Picked Item
Meets EN standards
Provides comfortable and smooth rides
Carbon fiber material
Latest deal: Superteam Carbon Fiber
26 Inch Mountain Bike Bicycle Wheels for Disc or Rim Brakes with Kenda Cobra
Comes as a pair
Double wall aluminum alloy
Available in different colors
Rims are not sealed or welded
Latest deal: Mountain Bike Bicycle Wheels
MTB Mountain Bike Bicycle 26Inch Milling Trilateral Alloy
Suitable for rough terrains
2 Spare bladed spokes
Strong and light
Supports a tension force of 350 kilograms
They cannot take too much of abuse
Latest deal: MTB 26Inch Milling Trilateral Alloy
BBR Tuning 26-Inch Heavy-Duty Front Mag Wheel
They come as a pair
Work perfectly with padded brakes
Secure and durable
Very risky for long rides
Latest deal: BBR Tuning 26-Inch Heavy-Duty Front Mag Wheel
Vuelta Zerolite MTB Limited Edition 26” Hand Built MTB Wheelset
Ideal for MTB enthusiasts
Only works with rim brakes
Latest deal: Vuelta Zerolite
Wheel Master 26” Alloy Mountain Disc, Double Wall
Best Value Item
Allows a speed of 8-10
Easy to replace
Features mountain holes which works with disc brake rotor
Not the best quality
Latest deal: Wheel Master
Star Tru STW 26 X1.5 BO Silver Real Mountain Bike Wheel
Inadequate grease on the bearings
Latest deal: Star Tru
27.5 Inch Mavic/ Shimamo Mountain Bike ATB Wheels
Works with disc brakes
Strong and reliable
Latest deal: Shimamo Mountain Bike ATB Wheels
Starts Rim Mountain Bike Wheel Wheelset Shimamo 8 9 10 Speed
Compatible with disc and V brakes
Latest deal: Starts Rim Mountain Bike Wheel
Factors to Consider When Buying Mountain Bike Wheels
- Types of spokes– If you will be using the bike frequently, then you need to look for one with many spokes. However, the spokes should not be so many if you will be using it occasionally. You also need to consider your weight which means that if you are heavy, a bike with many spokes will be the most ideal.
- Tubed vs Tubeless – A tubeless tire means that it does not have the inner tube. The good thing about these wheels is that are resistant to puncture and they also lower the air pressure. As a result, they provide smooth rides and better control. However, they are not easy to fit.
- Terrain – You also need to think of the terrain where you will be riding the bike. Some bikes wheels are specially made for specific terrains like downhill, mountain, cross-country while others are made for rocky terrains.
- Brake attachment and rim width– You will also need to consider the brake system in your bike. You should be aware that some wheels are designed for disc brakes which means that they do not have a braking surface. In terms of width, most of the wheels have a diameter of between 19mm-24mm. A wheel with a wide rim provides better support. Also remember to check the material plus the size of the rim since they can also affect the speed of your bike.
- Size-Bike wheels are available in different sizes. The common ones have 26 inches. These ones work perfectly with many riders but they do not do well in muddy areas. Their spare parts are affordable and easy to find.
27.5 Inches Wheels- These ones are suitable for tough terrains. However, they are not the best for short riders.
29 Inches Wheels – 29 inches wheels have a better traction as compared to the rest. Since they are not common, their spare parts are not easy to find.
When should you buy new Mountain Bike Wheels?
When buying a mountain bike, you normally buy it together with the wheels. However, these wheels may not last which means that you will require to replace them. Below are major reasons why you should purchase mountain bike wheels.
- Weight – You may realize that the wheels that are on your mountain are too heavy. To prevent discomfort, you will need to replace them with lightweight models. The good thing is that most of the wheels on the market today are lightweight and durable.
- Size– You may buy a mountain bike only to realize that the wheels are too big or too small for you. Instead of taking the bike back, the best thing would be to look for wheels that match your requirements in terms of size.
- Rim profile– Mountain bikes are made for different terrains. However, at times you may need to change terrains or use the bike for a specific purpose like cross-country or hill climbing. This means that you will look for suitable wheels that suit the terrain.
- Tubeless– The good thing about wheels that does not have tubes is that they rotate faster which makes them suitable for rough terrains.
How we came up with our list of top 10 mountain bike wheels
Searching for mountain bike wheel today is one of the hardest things most cyclists go through. This is because there are so many models and they all have different features. To save you from frustrations that come after buying unreliable product, we decided to compare different models and after a thorough research, we came up with the above products. The first thing we did was to compare the most outstanding features that a good mountain bike should have. We considered various factors like number of spokes, size and materials.
We also checked the price to ensure that the products we have picked are budget friendly. Apart from that, we tried to check the products from various online stores so that we could check what customers were saying about them. As you can see from the links we have included, all the products are top rated on Amazon. This means that you can pick any of them without any worry.
If you have been thinking of replacing your mountain bike wheels, you should consider any from those we have reviewed. They are all reliable, durable and are built to withstand different conditions. Since they come with different features, their price also varies.
However, if you are searching for a top quality mountain bike that will give you the best value for your money, Shimamo Mavic Continental 29er Wheels is absolutely the best. Unlike others, this one is made of heavy-duty materials which means that it lasts longer than other models. If the price is too high for you, then you can consider any other from the list since most of them are very cheap. Irrespective of your choice, we hope that this guide will be of great help when buying mountain bike wheels.
Alex Bristol - Cycle sport content expert
Alex is London Cycle Sports Head of Content and specialises in road bike accessories and general cycling. Alex scours the internet finding the latest product that matches the needs of cyclists across the world. Alex looks at the best bike set ups and sources the newest tech in the cycle industry. Whether its a buyer guide, product review or a general post about bikes, Alex is a trusted source for everything cycle sport.
Determining the correct size of the handlebars may not be very easy. In most cases, it depends on personal preferences and other factors like your height, type of bike, riding style,...
One of the best ways to give your road bike a new look is by changing the handlebar tape. However, this process can be a bit challenging especially if you have never done it before. To make...
Bicycles are vehicles Cyclists are protected by many laws, and other vehicle drivers have to respect them to ensure bikers' safety on the road. In the same way and for the same reason,...