10 Best BMX Stems [Review] in 2019
Last Updated on
Last Updated on
This guide has been written by Cycle expert Alex Bristol
See full list of products
Check out the results fast - here are our review winners
BMX bikes are special types of off-road sport bikes which are commonly used for stunt riding and racing. The term simply means Bicycle Motocross. If these bikes are your favorite, you need to ensure that all parts are functional and reliable. One of the most important parts is the BMX stem. The BMX stem is that part that connects the bars to the steerer tube. This part is very important because it allows you to balance your weight when riding. Buying a BMX stem can be very challenging especially if you are not sure which one you should pick. To make your work easier, we have compiled a list of the best BMX stems you can find today.
We've spent the time so you don't have to:
hours spent finding
Best BMX Stems
Insight 1 1/8 “ BMX Stem
Top Choice Item
If you are searching for an excellent and reliable BMX stem, you can never go wrong with this one. It is made of a forged 6061 alloy and it is then CNC machined to reduce the weight. This means that it has an impressive construction. Unlike others, Insight 1 1/8 BMX stem provides a full clamp power. The ED finish provides an excellent clench on all handlebars. Due to its design, it looks fantastic on any bike.
Provides full clamp power
Excellent clamp on all handlebars
A bit pricey
Latest deal: Insight 1 1/8 “ BMX Stem
Premium Sub-10 V3 BMX Stem
Prime Picked Item
Premium Sub- 10 V3 BMX stem is among the top rated BMX stem on the market. It is available in 5 different smokey colors which means that it is very attractive. Apart from the design, it is built to last. Its construction features a 3031 alloy which is CNC machined. Since it weighs only 10.05 oz, it is among the most lightweight BMX stems you can find today. Again, it comes in front load and top load design.
Built to last
Top load and front-load design
Latest deal: Premium BMX Stem
Cycle Group PX-ST134818T-GD Promax Impact BMX
Best Value Item
Cycle Group PX-ST134818T-GD is made of a high quality 6061-T6 aluminum. It is then CNC machined to enhance its shape and also to reduce weight. It weighs 272g and has an open design which reduces its weight. It is very strong and ensures that the bars remain intact. The other thing you will love about it is that it exceeds the ENBMX standards which means that you can highly rely on it.
Exceeds ENBMX standards
Made of strong materials
Latest deal: PX-ST134818T-GD Promax
Eastern Bikes BMX stem Topload throttle
Eastern Bikes BMX stem is among the most preferred BMX stems due to its remarkable performance. It is made from a forged 6061 allow which makes it among the strongest BMX stems on the market. Additionally, it features a hardened chromoly bolts which enhances strength and also helps in reducing its weight. You should also note that it has a 50 mm reach and 32mm stack height. Whether you are an expert of a beginner BMX rider, this one is among the best BMX stems you should consider.
Ideal for all BMX riders
Hardened chromoly bolts
Latest deal: Eastern Bikes BMX stem
ZFZ Bicycle Bike Stem 31.8 mm Super Light MTB BMX
ZFZ Bicycle Bike Stem 31.8 mm is among the most stylish BMX stems you can find today. It is made using the latest design and has a hollow design. As a result, it is very lightweight. Again, it is very comfortable when climbing and also for downhill riding. The other thing you should note is that the screws are installed freely and in case you experience some problems, you can easily check whether they are crooked.
Hollow and lightweight
Easy to install
Latest deal: ZFZ Bicycle Bike Stem
Sunday Bikes Freeze Top Load Black Bicycle Stem
This one is among the most advanced BMX stems you can find today. It is the best for a highly skilled rider and features a die-cast aluminum construction. Since it is made using a forged 6061-T6 aluminum faceplate and as a result, it is very lightweight. Another thing you will love about it is that it is very easy to set up. Also, it has a reach of 52mm and a stack height of 34mm
Solid and heavy-duty design
A bit heavy
Latest deal: Sunday Bikes Freeze
Cycle Group PX –ST134818F-BL
The most outstanding thing about this BMX stem is that it features laser-etched graphics. Apart from that, it uses a front-load design and you can use it when either side is facing up. You will find that it allows a drop or a rise of 5 mm. It also provides a 53mm extension. To boost durability and performance, it is made of a high quality 6061-T6 aluminum. Don’t forget that it exceeds the ENBMX standards for quality.
Top quality product
Laser etched graphics
May not work with all bikes
Latest deal: PX –ST134818F-BL
Black Ops Defend’R BMX Stem
One of the best things about these gloves is that they allow you to use your smartphone since they have touch recognition feature. Again, they have long lasting gel palm which also prevents them from slipping. This material also helps in shock absorption as well as reducing road vibrations. To ensure that they fit perfectly, adjustable straps are also included. The other impressive thing is that you can use them even during hot days since they have a breathable material.
User-friendly 4 bolt face clamp
Available in two attractive colors
Large steerer clamp
Not compatible with all bikes
Latest deal: Black Ops Defend’R
Wake Mountain Bike Stem
Whether you are searching for a reliable BMX stem for a road bike, fixed gear bicycles or a mountain bike, this one will be an excellent choice. It has a hollow and lightweight design. Apart from that, it is very easy to install. You will also find that it comes with 4 bolt clamps which holds it securely in its position. Don’t forget that it is made of aluminum to boost performance.
Improves steering and posture
Available in beautiful colors
High intensity stem
Latest deal: Wake Mountain Bike Stem
FatBoy Mini BMX 1 1/8 “ Top Load Stem
Unlike others, this one is made of a sturdy steel alloy. It is made using a cold forged process to boost durability. Again, it is made using high strength chromoly which makes it ideal for all climatic conditions. Since it come with 4 bolted clamps, it is very easy to install. Again, these clamps hold it strongly in its position. However, you should note that it only works with 25.4 mm BMX handlebars.
Very strong construction
Easy to install
Available in 4 colors
Ideal for all weather conditions
Suitable for 25.4 handlebars
Latest deal: FatBoy Mini
Factors to consider when buying a BMX stem
Whether you are an experienced BMX rider or you are just starting, choosing the best BMX stem can be very challenging due to the numerous products available today. These stems have a similar appearance and you might be tempted to just pick any. However, this can be very dangerous. To make your work easier, you should consider the following tips when buying.
- Materials– Most of the BMX stems are made of stiff, lightweight and strong aluminum alloy. The most common alloys used are 6061 and 7071. Both are reliable in terms of strength and performance. However, 7075 has a higher strength as compared to its weight ration. However, it is prone to corrosion.
- Designs– There are two types of BMX stems which are top load BMX stem and front load BMX stem. Front load stems contain a vertical front plate where you install the bars. Due to their design, they have a lower bar position. On the other hand, top load stems have a removable top plate where you install the bars. This means that the bars are positioned higher than the front loads.
- Reach –Before you buy the stem, you need to think of how it will affect your overall reach. If you are searching for a stem that will give you an upright posture, then you should go for a short one. However, a longer stem will be more stable and will allow you to ride at a speed.
- Position of the bar– The position of the bar is also another important thing you should consider. If you prefer to use longer bars, then top load stems will be the best. Again, if you prefer shorter bars or a bar that allows you to lean forward, then you should go for a front load stem.
- Steerer clamp radius – The size of the BMX handlebar will be determined by the steerer clamp radius. Stems with a large radius are more suitable for dirt jump riders. This is because this type of riding requires large bars. On the other hand, street riders require a small handlebar or a small steerer clamp.
- Machining – This process helps in reducing the weight of the stem by removing some materials in different areas that encounters less stress. Apart from that, it gives it an outstanding look.
- Clamping systems – Not all BMX stems use bolts for clamping. Some use hinge and internal wedge systems. A stem with few bolts may have a smaller design since it has more clamping surface area.
- Hollow bolts– Some companies use hollow bolts design as a way of reducing the weight of the stem. However, this can affect the strength of the stem. Before buying such a product, ensure that it is made of sturdy materials. You should also ensure that the bolt is strong enough.
- Reviews– If you have picked a product but you are not still convinced whether it is the best, you can go through customer reviews from various stores like Amazon to ensure that it is what you are looking for. Compare both the negative and positive reviews so that you can learn more about the product’s strengths and weakness.
- Price– Most people associate high prices with quality. However, this is not always the case because you can still find cheap products with excellent performance. Again, purchasing a cheap BMX stem simply because you are on a tight budget is a bad idea. Before you spend your money, ensure that the product is strong enough and has all the features you are looking for.
- Dimensions – The length of the BMX stem will affect the performance and handling characteristics of the BMX bike.
Today there are so many BMX stems on the market but not all of them will give you a great riding experience. What you need to know is that choosing a wrong BMX stem is one of the most dangerous things you can ever do if you love BMX riding. Nonetheless, any of those products we have reviewed today will give you a top performance. We always strive to provide only those products that will give you a great value for your money. As a result, we do a lot of research as we compare different products.
When we were compiling our list, we considered things like design, features, strength and price. This means that apart from being affordable, all the products that we have mentioned are very strong and will last longer than others. Again, they are easy to install even for beginners. If you are not sure which one you should pick, you try to compare their features and the price to ensure that you have picked the best. Again, you may need to consider the color or the design. Since there are two types of BMX stems, you should be very keen when buying to avoid buying the wrong one.
Alex Bristol - Cycle sport content expert
Alex is London Cycle Sports Head of Content and specialises in road bike accessories and general cycling. Alex scours the internet finding the latest product that matches the needs of cyclists across the world. Alex looks at the best bike set ups and sources the newest tech in the cycle industry. Whether its a buyer guide, product review or a general post about bikes, Alex is a trusted source for everything cycle sport.
Determining the correct size of the handlebars may not be very easy. In most cases, it depends on personal preferences and other factors like your height, type of bike, riding style,...
One of the best ways to give your road bike a new look is by changing the handlebar tape. However, this process can be a bit challenging especially if you have never done it before. To make...
Bicycles are vehicles Cyclists are protected by many laws, and other vehicle drivers have to respect them to ensure bikers' safety on the road. In the same way and for the same reason,...
Subscribe to stay in the loop
Get the latest news and updates from our blog